Monday, August 24, 2009

Andrew Wyeth RIP


So, the second member of the Wyeth trinity has died. Andrew Wyeth has always been one of my favorite American artists. He stuck with what he knew and loved during a period of modern art that shunned his realism and archaic medium. While Andy Warhol was pumping out his factory Pop art, Wyeth continued to paint gothic, rural scenes of American life using egg tempera.

I'm heading to Seattle for a short trip this week to check out some of his work at the SAM. Here is one of his more recognizable paintings: Christina's World, 1948

3 comments:

  1. I <3 that I comment the most on my own blog.

    I noticed I wrote "egg tempura" at first. Too many years of writing bullet points for TJ's food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you going to seattle? I havent been to SAM yet and would loooooveeeee to goooooo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this painting.

    keep blogging- you are hilarious and very helpful!

    ReplyDelete